Skip to main content

Articulate a Microcourse for Something (I chose Teams)

via GIPHY

 

Welcome to Teams - a tiny primer


Late Impressions:

Using Articulate was something of an eye-opener to me. I have used a course builder software that developed from an open source product into one that is now profit based, and it is far clunkier than Articulate. I have also seen other people online who have created courses and felt wowed by their ability to design such stream-lined and visually pleasing experiences. Seeing that a lot of what I considered WOW factors are now WYSWG type building experiences in this product takes a lot of mystique out of how people are able to do that and the skills it actually takes, versus the ones I was making assumptions it took.

With that, I felt a loss of personability within Articulate. It felt like I was being inducted into the Adobe brand over promoting the content I was creating my course for (admittedly still a large brand, lol). It was not hard to pattern a course after one of the templates, or to fall into the writing tone provided by the templates, or feel very supported in creating a pretty consistent learning experience. I appreciated that on the whole - considering that an efficiently designed nice-looking course is effective at educating.

My ego wants to argue this point, because I am often a personality that likes to reinvent the wheel because I value the process more than the product. In acknowledging my hesitation though it allows me to wonder if this type of design tool is creating a rather deceptive idea that our learners are all primed to have authentic learning experiences with this type of tool. It all felt very Instagram worthy, and for a course that I was not as personally curious about, or multiple of them, I think the nature of that would make it difficult to take any topic very seriously. It would make everything feel rather emotionless, and/or like I was taking in information like a sugar-coated pill. In that way I think if I were to use this product in the future I would definitely want to consider the audience, intent, and outcome hoped for when designing my course, which ultimately is what we are meant to do anyway, but I can see how I might fall into the trap of not critically reflecting as deeply in using Articulate because everything runs so simple, pretty, and smooth. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Embeddement

  Bonus Challenge: Match the flags with their icon

A Climate Adaptation Exercise

 Lesson Plan: Objective: To introduce adult learners in a course about Climate Adaptation, Morality, and Justice: Starting Where Your At using Google Maps to help them create a road trip to become a tourist in their own state as well as a way to emotionally connect them to the natural world available to them. The creation of the map will create a foundation of care in students for future class discussions surrounding the new climate morality. Considering, grappling with, or answering questions like: - How do we balance the different mentalities around climate change and our responsibility or values within that larger discussion? - What is the balance of caring for our natural world while also being a unavoidable (for now) participant in its continued disruption and destruction? - How have our perceptions shifted? How can they continue to shift to achieve the kind of sustainability that will allow us adaptability? The stops on the map below illustrate how students will plan a road trip

Internet Persona Level Unlocked

well now... I have recorded a podcast Likely Learning Episode 1 Here there be  dragons. ❤